Month: July 2019

  • A piece of legislation that would mean children ar

    first_imgA piece of legislation that would mean children are taught LGBT-inclusive relationships and sex education (RSE) in primary schools was passed by a huge majority of 517 yesterday, with 538 MPs in favour and just 21 against.But LGBT Labour activists are furious about those MPs who voted against or abstained on the Draft Relationships Education, Relationships and Sex Education and Health Education (England) Regulations 2019.Relationships and sex education (RSE) has been under scrutiny in recent weeks, as several schools in Birmingham faced protests over existing guidance and some stopped teaching the disputed lessons.As might be expected, 12 Tories and 7 DUP representatives voted against the guidance. But many Labour members were concerned to see that Labour’s John Spellar also voted against, as did Fiona Onasanya, who now sits as an Independent MP.14 Labour MPs did not vote: Vernon Coaker, Sir David Crausby, Ruth George, Kate Hoey, Kate Hollern, Imran Hussain, Stephen Kinnock (who says there has been a mistake), Khalid Mahmood, John McDonnell, Laura Pidcock, Yasmin Qureshi, Stephen Timms, Keith Vaz and Mohammad Yasin.Ex-Labour MPs Ann Coffey, Frank Field, Ivan Lewis, Jared O’Mara (who has explained his absence), Chuka Umunna and Chris Williamson also abstained.Not all abstentions were deliberate, and one seems to have been a mistake. Some of the MPs offered explanations in response to criticism…Stephen Kinnock said there had been a “mix up”.I am absolutely sure that I voted ‘For’ on this. I am contacting the House authorities now to see if there has been some kind of mix up.— Stephen Kinnock (@SKinnock) March 28, 2019Laura Pidcock apologised:I can only apologise. I was on TV live, then got called to an urgent meeting, so it was a cock up from me, not a deliberate abstention. Spent years delivering LGBT+ education 😭— Laura Pidcock MP (@LauraPidcockMP) March 28, 2019Ruth George said it was a scheduling issue:This was a minor division held at the same time as my Bill to prohibit Sky Lanterns, to enable a score of Conservative MPs to register their objection, but was overwhelmingly won. No reflection on my total support for the LGBT community – I’m speaking at Buxton Pride this summer— Ruth George (@RuthGeorge6) March 28, 2019Timms explained his (deliberate) abstention in parliament.Mohammad Yasin had a family emergency:@LGBTLabourI had a family emergency. Unfortunately I missed few votes on Tuesday and Wednesday.— Mohammad Yasin MP (@yasinmpbedford) March 28, 2019 Tags:LGBT Labour /LGBT /RSE /last_img read more

  • ST HELENS have extended the contract of New Zealan

    first_imgST HELENS have extended the contract of New Zealand international forward Tony Puletua for a further two seasons until the end of 2013.Puletua is currently in his third year with the Saints.Puletua stated: “I’m absolutely thrilled to be seeing out my career at the Saints. They are the only Super League club that I would consider playing for and I’ve enjoyed every aspect of my time here so far, particularly the fans who have been absolutely amazing to me.“With the new stadium near to completion, and some new international signings to complement a great crop of young players coming through, the next couple of years are going to be more than exciting for Saints players and fans alike.”Coach Royce Simmons added: “This is a great lift for us all. Tony is a rare breed of forward who combines size with athleticism and skill and can play both back and front row.“He brings an extra dimension to our game and has been in great form of late. He is in prime physical condition and there is no doubt that he can play on at the highest level for another couple of seasons after this.”last_img read more

  • Wilmington hotel sends used soap to be recycled given to the impoverished

    first_img00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Five-hundred pounds of soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. That’s how much Homewood Suites in Mayfaire says they supply their rooms with each month.Plenty of it doesn’t get used by guests and could go to waste. That waste is magnified during busy times like Spring Break.- Advertisement – “When we do have more people coming in for more of a transient stay to the beach for the weekend, we will see more people utilizing it and then it being left behind,” said Joanie DeSantis, Homewood Suites’ Director of Sales.The leftover toiletries get sent to the Clean the World program. That’s where hygiene kits are compiled and sent to impoverished people all around the world.“Two of the melted down bars of soap. Any of the lotion, shampoo, conditioner that is more than halfway full when it is sent back to Clean the World gets repurposed into these hygiene kits. They also get a towel, a razor, toothbrush, and toothpaste,” DeSantis said.Related Article: Blood pressure drug recalled over potentially life-threatening label mix-upAccording to Clean the World, about five thousand children die daily from hygiene-related illnesses.DeSantis says her hotel plays a small role in solving this big problem.“I think anything that’s gonna give back to make our world a better place is fantastic, especially if it’s helping people that are in need, children, families. There’s really no bad side to it at all,” DeSantis said.All suites associated with Hilton Hotels participate in this program.Homewood Suites at Mayfaire plans to donate 75 of the hygiene kits to the Wilmington Interfaith Hospitality Network and a local domestic violence shelter.last_img read more

  • Novant Health receives grant to support breast health services in Brunswick County

    first_img To qualify for a free mammogram, women who do not have health insurance or are underinsured must be age 40 or up, live in Brunswick County and cannot have had a mammogram in the last year.“We are grateful to the Susan G. Komen organization for helping us bridge the gap in breast cancer screening with this generous grant,” said Cindy Cheatham, development program manager for the Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center Foundation. “This means so much to us as we know it will help us bring a vital diagnostic tool to the women in our community who forgo mammograms because they cannot afford them.”The American College of Radiology recommends that all women 40 and older receive an annual mammogram.Related Article: Medical staff attend annual NHRMC trauma symposiumStandard mammograms and 3D mammograms are available at Brunswick Medical Center six days a week. The mobile mammography coach is also available at various Brunswick County locations and features standard, digital mammography technology, all female technicians, private changing and separate clinical exam room.For more information or to schedule your mammogram, call 910-721-1485 or visit NovantHealth.org/Pink. 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings BOLIVIA, NC (WWAY) — Novant Health has received a big grant that will help women in Brunswick County get needed breast health services.Susan G. Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast donated nearly $20,000 to The Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center Foundation to provide free mammograms and diagnostic services for uninsured and underinsured women in Brunswick County.- Advertisement – last_img read more

  • Law enforcement conducting active shooter drill at Brunswick Co school

    first_imgActive shooter training at Cedar Grove Middle School on July 26, 2018. (Photo: Basil John/WWAY) BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office will conduct a multi-agency active shooter drill today with the help of Brunswick County Schools.The drill will be held on the campus of South Brunswick High School in Southport starting at 9 a.m.- Advertisement – Agencies from across the county including Emergency Services, various municipalities and fire departments, and the NC State Highway Patrol will be participating in the drill. Faculty and staff from Brunswick County Schools will also participate as role players in the scenarios.  The drill will include realistic scenarios in an effort to give participants the most real-life experience possible in an effort to prevent or minimize loss of life in the event of an active shooter.The purpose of the drill is to provide realistic training for first responders in the event of an active shooter situation inside one of the nineteen schools across the county.Residents may see an increased number of law enforcement and emergency personnel in the area as part of the drill.  Tactical exercises will take place in and around the school and is closed to the public.Related Article: Teacher says she was fired after refusing to abide by ‘no zero’ policyWWAY’s Kylie Jones will be there for the exercise and will have the story throughout the day.last_img read more

  • Former CFCC president named as Bladen Community College president

    first_img “Dr. Lee brings a vast amount of experience, not only in the classroom, but as an administrator within the community college system. She has done an outstanding job engaging the community and growing the relationships necessary to make a community college thrive. We, as a family at Bladen Community College, are excited and confident that Dr. Lee will grow the college with continued success. We welcome Dr. Lee’s leadership as we enter the next era of BCC’s history,” said Dennis Troy, chair of BCC’s Board of Trustees.In October 2017, Lee abruptly resigned as President of CFCC, the same day CFCC’s Board of Trustees announced a legal settlement with former President Ted Spring. As part of that settlement, CFCC’s insurer paid Spring an undisclosed amount of money, and he withdrew a lawsuti claiming he was forced to resign in 2015.Jim Morton was selected as Lee’s successor at CFCC.Related Article: North Carolina speaker, schools chief pitching bond questionLee had been with CFCC for more than a decade, starting as an instructor in 2003. Since living Wilmington, she has served as the Chief of Staff and Vice President of Academic Affairs at Union College in Barbourville, Kentucky, according to the news release.Dr. Lee is expected to assume the office on February 1. Dr. Amanda Lee selected as new BCC President (Photo: BCC) BLADEN COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The former president of Cape Fear Community College will lead another eastern North Carolina school.Bladen Community College announced last week that Amanda Lee will become the school’s president after state approval. According to a news release, the school’s board of trustees unanimously selected Lee from a pool of four finalists.- Advertisement – last_img read more

  • 19 places where you can take your unwanted medications Saturday

    first_imgPills (Photo: Pixabay) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — To encourage the proper disposal of unwanted medications, New Hanover Regional Medical Center is partnering with regional healthcare, law enforcement, and education and safety organizations to hold a medication disposal event in six counties Saturday.19 locations in New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender, Onslow, Bladen and Duplin counties are scheduled to accept all medications and syringes from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.- Advertisement – Medications can be prescription, over-the-counter, vitamins or herbal. You are asked to keep medications in original containers. Syringes and other sharps will be accepted.New Hanover CountyNHRMC Medical Mall, 2243 S. 17th St., WilmingtonNHRMC ExpressCare, 510 Carolina Bay Drive, WilmingtonNHRMC Atlantic SurgiCenter, 9104 Market St., WilmingtonCarolina Beach Police Department, 1121 N. Lake Park Blvd., Carolina BeachNew Hanover County Senior Resource Center, 2222 S. College Rd., WilmingtonUNCW Police Department, 5126 Lionfish Drive, WilmingtonNew Hanover Medical Group – Myrtle Grove, 5145 S. College Road, WilmingtonMedNorth Health Center, 925 N. Fourth St., WilmingtonBrunswick CountyNHRMC Health & Diagnostics Brunswick Forest, 1333 S. Dickenson Dr., LelandNovant Health Brunswick Medical Center, 240 Hospital Dr. NE, BoliviaRelated Article: New Hampshire sets tough drinking water standards for PFASPender CountyPender Memorial Hospital, 507 E. Freemont St., BurgawIsland Family Medicine, 2540 N.C. 210 East, Surf CityVillage Pharmacy of Hampstead, Inc., 14057 US-17 #100, HampsteadBlack River Health Services, Inc., 4811 N.C. 50, Maple HillOnslow CountyOnslow Memorial Hospital, 317 Western Blvd., JacksonvilleBladen CountyAnderson Drug Store, 206 South Poplar St., ElizabethtownClarkton Drug, 80 East Green St., ClarktonMedicine Shoppe Pharmacy, 102 Main St., BladenboroDuplin CountyVidant Duplin Hospital, 401 N. Main, St., KenansvilleFor those who cannot attend the event, permanent drop boxes are available in many locations in Southeastern NC for residents to safely dispose of unwanted medications. No needles or biohazard materials are accepted in the drop boxes. To find a location, visit https://www.nhrmc.org/medication-disposallast_img read more

  • Woody White to represent county at Pearl Harbor ceremony

    first_img The USS North Carolina is a Virginia-class fast-attack nuclear submarine.Its official commissioning ceremony was held in Wilmington in May of 2008.A local non-profit youth woodworking program “Kids Making It” engraved farewell plaques for crew members when they transition.Related Article: Presumed American remains from Korea War head homeThe ceremony is in Hawaii at 10 a.m. Friday. Commander Matthew Lewis & Commissioner Woody White (Photo: Kids Making It) NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioner Woody White is headed to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii to represent the county and the Board of Commissioners at the Change of Command Ceremony for the USS North Carolina submarine.Commander Matthew H. Lewis will be relieved by Commander Michael D. Fisher at the ship’s home port in Pearl Harbor.- Advertisement – last_img read more

  • Two Brunswick County men arrested over the weekend in separate rapes

    first_imgSean Michael Lent and Madison Collins (Photos: Brunswick Co. Sheriff’s Office) BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Two Brunswick County men were arrested over the weekend and charged in two separate rape investigations, one involving a young child.Sean Michael Lent, 25, is charged with rape of a child by an adult and sexual offense with a child by an adult.- Advertisement – According to warrants, the alleged crimes happened between November 2014 and November 2016 and involved a child between the ages of 3 and 4. Lent was between 20 to 22 years old at the time.Lent was arrested Sunday night and is being held under a more than $1 million bond.Madison Reeves Collins, 21, is charged with second degree forcible rape and second degree force sex offense.Related Article: South Carolina man arrested in 1987 rape in North CarolinaAccording to the arrest warrant, the incident happened on June 1.He was arrested on Friday and is being held under a $200,000 bond.last_img read more

  • PN launches manifesto for each Local Council

    first_img Luke Zerafa Luke Zerafa Luke Zerafa Luke ZerafaLuke Zerafa The Nationalist Party launched election manifestos for the 68 localities in the Local Council elections.During the news conference, Secretary General of the Nationalist Party Clyde Puli, explained that the PN was publishing an overall manifesto and specific manifestos addressing specific needs for each locality. This amounted to more than 2,000 proposals.Among the proposals are strengthening the communities, strengthening identity, environmental landscaping, night shelters and day care centers for each locality, community policing and caring for residents.The Opposition spokesperson on local councils Robert Cutajar, explained that the Nationalist Party submitted 80 proposals for local councils, most of which were rejected by the government. Luke Zerafa Luke Zerafa SharePrint Luke Zerafa Luke Zerafacenter_img WhatsApp Luke Zerafa 1 of 11 Luke Z Luke Zerafa Luke Zerafa <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more