AFP and RFI correspondent released after four months in jail

first_imgNews June 15, 2020 Find out more Not even coronavirus escapes Equatorial Guinea’s extreme censorship News RSF_en October 16, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 AFP and RFI correspondent released after four months in jail Equatorial GuineaAfrica Receive email alerts Organisation to go further Reporters Without Borders hails yesterday’s release of Rodrigo Angue Nguema, the Malabo correspondent of Agence France-Presse and Radio France Internationale, although a court is insisting that the two French news organisations pay 40 million CFA francs (61,000 euros) in connection with a defamation action that was brought against him.“We welcome his release with a great deal of relief,” the press freedom organisation said. “It ends four months of injustice and allows the foreign media’s only correspondent in Equatorial Guinea to be reunited with his family and go back to work. But we think the sum demanded from AFP and RFI is exorbitant and unjustified.”Nguema’s was released from Malabo’s Black Beach prison at about 3 p.m. yesterday. Reached by telephone, he told Reporters Without Borders he was in good health. He had been detained since 17 June, when the head of the national airline Ceiba, Mamadou Jaye, sued him over a mistaken report that Jaye had embezzled 3.5 billion CFA francs (5 million euros) and skipped the country in April.The prosecutor’s office did not present criminal libel charges against Nguema when the case was heard by a Malabo court on 1 September.center_img Reports The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Help by sharing this information November 27, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Equatorial Guinea Equatorial GuineaAfrica News Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives May 18, 2020 Find out morelast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *